Who we are
The Texas Tenants' Union is a nonprofit tenants' rights organization. We empower
tenants through education and organizing to protect their rights, preserve their
homes, improve their living conditions and enhance the quality of life in their
We do this through:
- Free weekly tenants' rights workshops – held at
our office every Wednesday night at 7:30. Workshops cover leases, eviction,
deposits, and repairs. Afterwards, one-to-one help is available.
- Written materials including a Handbook of Tenants' Rights
(available in English and Spanish), form letters for common problems such
as getting security deposits back, getting repairs done, and finding out who
owns the property.
- Organizing assistance – at the apartment complex
level, and around city, state, and federal housing issues.
- Counseling to help individuals solve their tenant/landlord
- Training for tenants on how to represent themselves in
the Justice of the Peace court in cases with their landlord.
- Referrals for emergency rent assistance, legal help, and/or
appropriate social services.